A quick follow up to my notice last week that I would be attending a veterans event on Saturday. Veterans from WWII, Korea and the Falklands came along to support the launch of my Brother in Law's new book. The public came out in force and the old Fire Station in Hadleigh was packed throughout. All proceeds from the day will be going to the Veterans of Normandy group.
Veterans present included the following incredible men:
- Pte Thomas White (Paratrooper) who features in the new book.
- Medic David Whiteman, 1st Airborne - Dunkirk & Arnhem
- Medic Alec Hall, 1st Airbourne - Arnhem
- Alfred Smith - Dunkirk, D-Day Gold Beach
- Warrent Officer Bob Stevens - Juno Beach and Market Garden
- Sapper Don Sheppard - Juno Beach and Market Garden
- Royal Marine John Jones - A veteran after WWII
- RN Albert England - LCT2498 - Utah Beach
- RN Doug Shelly - Arctic Convoys & D-Day
- RN Len Hobbs - D-Day Gold Beach
- RN Charles Wheeler - Arctic Convoys & D-Day
- RN Alfred Fowler - HMS Sheffield, Arctic Convoys & D-Day Decoy
- RN Norman Summerhayes - Atlantic Convoys, Malta, D-Day & Pacific
- L/Aircraftsman Bernard Mabey 9/617 Dambusters Sqn
- Gunner Harry Irons - 9 Sqn
- Major John Hawkins - Korean War
- Lt Colin Conner, winner of the Military Medal at Goose Green in the Falklands.