I missed this set of questions from Ray
while I was away on holiday. I have been trying to catch up on all the Blog's I didn't get to read while I was in Norfolk and its been fun to read everyone's responses to these questions. So I have put my thinking cap on and here are my brief set of answers.
1. Favourite Wargaming period and why?
Clearly from my choice of games it has to be WWII closely followed by ACW.
2. Next period, money no object?
I'm afraid it would still be WWII but I'd like to focus on the North Africa campaign.
3. Favourite 5 films?
King Kong, Aliens, Zulu, The Longest Day and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
4. Favourite 5 TV series?
Band of Brothers, Babylon 5, Voyager, Futurama and The X-Files.
5. Favourite book and author?
I'm a big Tolkein fan but I think I'll have to nominate Iain M. Banks in this category. His Sci-Fi just blows me away and I have yet to read anything he has written that I haven't loved. I think I would have to pick State of the Art as my favourite as it was the first Banks Sci-Fi I read.
6. Greatest General? Can’t count yourself!!
Alexander the Great of course. Who else?!?
7. Favourite Wargames rules?
It's hard for me to choose as I have played so few compared to other gamer's. Of those I have played I have to say I enjoy Fire and Fury for its simplicity.
8. Favourite Sport and team?
I don't watch or follow any sport. I watched some of the Olympics (it was hard to avoid) but beyond special events sport is something of a mystery to me.
9. If you had a only use once time machine, when and where would you go?
There are plenty of times and places I would like to visit but the fact is if it was a one trip affair I'd have little excuse not to use the opportunity to rid the world of a great evil. So it would have to be Germany, September 1919 just before Hitler joined the Deutsche Arbeiterpartei (abbreviated as DAP, and later commonly referred to as the Nazi Party). I'd happily fuck up history to have a chance to kill Hitler.
10. Last meal on Death Row?
Peppered Steak with big chunky chips and garden peas. I feel hungry now! Mmmmm....
11. Fantasy relationship and why?
My wife, who else! OK, if pressed it would have to be Seven of Nine, Jeri Ryan. What can I say, I watched Voyager for one reason and one reason only!
12. If your life were a movie, who would play you?
Timothy Spall. He looks ordinary enough to play an ordinary bloke like me plus he's rotund enough to look like me if you squint at the screen.
13. Favourite Comic Superhero?
I was never what you might call a big Comic Book reader but I have always enjoyed the Judge Dredd stories. Indeed anything originating from the pages of 2000AD
14. Favourite Military quote?
"I call upon all who love freedom to stand with us. Keep your faith staunch. Our arms are resolute. Together we shall achieve victory." Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, June 6, 1944
15. Historical destination to visit?
Normandy. My Brother-in-law and I are planning a week long trip to the whole region. Whether we actually pull this off (or get away with it from our wives point of view!) is another thing.
16. Biggest Wargaming regret?
Not joining a wargaming club. My gaming group stopped wargaming about 20 years ago to play RPG's exclusively. I have always enjoyed that side of my hobby so I don't regret the move but I should have found a second group or club to exercise my wargaming interests.
17. Favourite Fantasy job?
Director of the Tank Museum at Bovington...unfortunately an old college and long time friend of mine already has the job, so I guess I'll have to wait for him to move on before putting myself forward for the position.
18. Favourite Song Top 5?
'Warmachine' by ACDC
'Brothers in Arms' by Dire Straights
'Three Little Birds' by Bob Marley
'All Along the Watchtower' by Jimmy Hendrix
'Into the West' by Annie Lennox
19. Favourite Wargaming Moment?
20. The miserable Git question, what upsets you?
Oh god how long have you got? I'm a miserable old git so if you are 'sensitive' or easily offended stop reading now!!
- Nazis, fascists and racists of any shade. In particular the BNP who crawl out of the sewers every election to sow hate, lies and fear.
- David Cameron, Nick Clegg, George Osborne... indeed the whole f--king Cabinet! Not one of them has any touch with reality and none of them care as much about the-good-of-the-country as they do their own careers.
- Religion. I have nothing against personally held faith but I find organised 'Religion' highly suspect. All Religions/Churches exist to enforce their own particular Doctrine. And because doctrine is inflexible and usually based on ancient and outdated concepts of morality it all too often rides roughshod over logic, reason, critical thinking, science, equality, diversity, empathy and even compassion.
- Anyone that peddles superstition, parapsychology, creationism, anti-science or anti-vax crap.
- Homophobes and other hate groups. I can't tolerate intolerant ideologies - and yes, the irony of that statement hasn't escaped me.
- Smokers who refuse to accept that I (or my kids) shouldn't have to breath their second hand smoke. I'm all in favour of a smoking ban in public places.
- Impatient, angry and just plain stupid drivers. I've had too many near misses over the years caused by idiots who don't even realise they have nearly caused an accident.
- Dog owners who let their pets shit in the park and don't clean it up. Just because it comes out of your dogs anus doesn't mean you are not responsible for it!!
- People who drop litter. There should be a special place in hell for litterers! I live by the philosophy that you should take nothing but photo's and leave nothing but footprints.
- Spammers (borrowed from Fran's list). I'd also have to include Junk Mailers and Telephone Cold Callers to this category. Life is hassle enough without these tossers wasting my time and clogging up my inbox / bin / answer-phone with stuff I don't want and never asked for.
- Celebrity Culture... dignifying the phenomenon with word 'Culture' is surely a text book example of an oxymoron. So called 'reality tv' should be banned and made punishable by death.
- Bloggers who start 'questionnaire-memes' that take hours to complete and distract me from painting!!
OK, I reckon I have burnt enough bridges for one day (and this is the abridged list!!!) I'm even grumpier than I thought I was!