Toady's long overdue post has to start with a big thank you to Brendon (aka The Kiwi) at The Gamers Table for nominating my humble Blog for a Liebster Award. For those that are unaware of this award its sort of like a chain letter but without the veiled threats of dire consequences if you don't pass it on. The central premise of the award is to give Bloggers a chance to give other bloggers a shout out and say 'thank you' for all their effort.
The rules are relatively straight forward and therefore easy to bend!
- Copy and paste the award on your blog linking it to the blogger who has given it you.
- Pass the award to your top 11 blogs with less than 200 followers by leaving a comment on one of their posts to notify them that they have won the award and listing them on your own blog.
- Sit back and bask in the warm fuzzy feeling that comes with knowing you have made someones day!
- There is no obligation to pass this onto someone else but it's nice if you take the time to do so.
Its hard to pick a top 11, especially as many of my all time favourites already have over 200 followers. OK, I have given this a bit of thought and I nominate these blogs for a Liebster. I think they all have some excellent content, great writing and each has a uniquely enjoyable take on the big wide and wonderful world of wargaming.
- Bloggers for Charity - I don't know how many followers this site has (not listed on the front page) but it is definitely a Blog of Note. Based on a fantastic idea, in support of a great cause it has brought many gamers and painters together (myself included) to give something back and make a difference.
- Norseygamer - A great blog that always features some excellent photo's and is well worth checking out, especially if you like Napoleonics.
- Solo Napoleon - A cartoon strip starring Leo, a fanatical solo (war)gamer with a BIG imagination.
- Anything but a One - Excellent writing, excellent photo's and an excellent fellow!
- Diary of a Gaming Magpie - Variety and lots of great pictures.
- Sgt Steiner's Wargaming Blog - Every post is interesting to read and the Sgt is a good commenter as well.
- Legatus Wargames Armies - Always a pleasure to read
- Life in Miniature - Excellent writing and an insiders view of the history of Wargaming
- Mad Padre's Wargames - Variety, quality and the occasional 6mm stuff (plus lots more)
- Covering Fire - A good Flames of War oriented blog with nice photo's and good writing.
- Kages Flames of War - Another FoW blog with lost of rules discussion, tutorials and resources.
There are of course many other great blogs that I follow that have only missed out on a Liebster because they already have in excess of 200 followers. So an honourable mention should go to The Blog with No Name, Johns Toy Soldiers, Analogue Hobbies, The Angry Lurker, Don't throw a one, BigRedBatCave, Bleaseworld, Dampf's Modelling Page, Roundwoods World, The Wargaming Site, Wargaming Girl, Loki's Great Hall, Monty's Caravan, Model Dads, O'Leary Miniatures.
This years round of awards includes some rather strange questions, which I have tried to answer as succinctly and sincerely as possible.
- Why did you start blogging? Officially the reason was that I wanted to showcase my painting, but this quickly changed into a general gaming blog about my corner of this great and varied hobby called 'gaming'. Unofficially I'm as a insecure and lonely as the next guy and I just crave attention...writing a blog and throwing my opinions out there makes me feel like I'm not completely wasting my life.
- If you could change one thing about the wargaming hobby, what would it be? I have no idea. Honestly I love this hobby and cannot think of a single downside, let along something so bad I'd like to change it. Perhaps the question should be 'How would you enhance the Wargaming Hobby' in which case I'd like to invent a hover chair so that I can float around the wargames table in comfort. Eight hour games are murder on the feet when you weigh half a tonne...
- What is best in life? Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their dices. As far as wargaming is concerned the best thing is the companionship and bonhomie that comes with being part of a like minded social circle.
- Do you want to live forever? Duh! Of course.
- Fame or fortune? Fortune. I couldn't tolerate all that attention, intrusion and the constant fight to stay famous once you've made it. Fortune can buy you freedom, fame just puts you in chains.
- What miniatures are you most proud of having painted? I have to say my recent contribution to the Bloggers of Charity game (French La Sarre infantry) gave me great satisfaction to paint. As well as being interesting and challenging they have gone to a good cause so I feel good about myself at the same time. Win Win.
- How do you deal with burn out? Sleep. Sweet sweet sleep. Seriously though, I don't get very stressed in general. I'm annoyingly laid back most of the time and I try not to bring my work stresses home with me. But when things get too much I do like to retreat into my hobby in some way (read a book, watch a documentary, paint, play a game etc) and I can block it all out - if only for a while.
- Why is a raven like a writing desk? Fish
- Star Wars or Star Trek? Oh man....I have a nerdgasm for both of these, I couldn't possibly choose a favourite.
- If you could only buy from one miniature company from now on, which one would it be? This is almost as bad as the last question! Right now if I had to pick one company it would be GHQ. Their 1:285 WWII models are expensive but the detail and quality of their figures is mindbogglingly good.
- What is your favourite takeaway? One of my favourites is a Lamb Shish Kebab from my local Turkish takeaway. Yummy.